There are several strategies that can be effective in finding a new job when you are over 55 years of age in the UK. Here are a few suggestions:
1. Update your CV and LinkedIn profile: Make sure your CV and LinkedIn profile reflect your most recent experience and accomplishments. Highlight your transferable skills, such as leadership, communication, and problem-solving. Here at The Career Coach our coaches and CV writer can help you. We uncover and highlight the value you bring.
2. Network: Reach out to your professional and personal networks to let them know that you are looking for a new job. Attend industry events and join relevant groups on social media to expand your network. Make a plan and learn how to make networking work for you, in our motivating sessions.
3. Consider part-time or flexible work: Many employers are open to hiring older workers for part-time or flexible work arrangements. This can be a good way to ease back into the workforce and gain new skills. We will show you where to look and manage your search time.
4. Upskill: Consider taking courses or training programs to update your skills or learn new ones. This can help make you more competitive in the job market. Let’s discuss what will be futureproof and what employers need right now.
5. Seek out age-friendly employers: Look for employers that value and appreciate older workers. There are several organisations that have been recognised as age-friendly, such as the Age Positive Employer Forum and the Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion.
6. Use niche job search websites: There are several websites that are geared towards older workers or offer job listings that are suitable for older workers, such as Retired4Hire and Mature Times.
7. Use social media to help you: We can show you tips and tricks to find roles you didn’t know existed.
Remember that finding a job can take time, so be patient and persistent in your job search. Good luck!
Coaching is an investment that can support you, with focus into a sustainable job and take the hard work out of finding that role you love.
Contact job search coach Karen Perkins for a free Get Hired! career consultation and some ideas about how coaching can really help.